Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Oracle vs PG

On 10/23/18 1:47 PM, Ravi Krishna wrote:

Since the article was almost content-free I not would use it on either side of the argument. The only thing I pulled from it was Amazon changed databases and hit the learning curve. That will happen in either direction.

I agree but this is the key:

"Savepoints are an important database tool for tracking and recovering individual transactions. On Prime Day, an excessive number of savepoints was created, and Amazon's Aurora software wasn't able to handle the pressure, slowing down the overall database performance, the report said."

Again, pretty much content-free. For all you know some application was creating savepoints, needlessly:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/sql-savepoint.html

and not cleaning up after itself.

The content is here:

"Following the Prime Day outage, Amazon engineers filled out a 25-page report, which Amazon calls a correction of error. It's a standard process that Amazon uses to try to understand why a major incident took place and how to keep it from happening in the future."

Not sure if that is publicly available or not, though my hunch is no.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx