Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Postgres 11, partitioning with a custom hash function

On 5 October 2018 at 09:43, Harry B <harrysungod@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Now the big question: How scared should I be relying on this? I don't mind
> it breaking on major version upgrades (which would mean I need to dump &
> restore my entire set), but how likely is it to change unannounced in a
> minor/security release? Unless of course, you break it in a way that makes
> custom-hash function impossible.

I don't see how we could possibly change it once v11 is out the door.
Such a change would break pg_upgrade and I imagine we want that to
work for a long time to come yet, at least until there is some other
reason that is worthy of breaking it. The bar is likely set pretty
high for that.