Search Postgresql Archives

Rules and decision logic triggered by / acting on JSONB nodes in Postgres

Hi all,

I’m sorry if this question is off-topic for postgres-core, but didn’t know where else to ask.

We’ve built a workflow and BPM (business process management) tool with pg as the database, and we’d like to explore conditional logic within steps in a workflow being triggers as functions when a certain JSONB node changes.

An example -> If (form field contains “bob”) then (change state of another object)

In effect, since all our objects are JSONB - we wanted to “listen” to a change in one JSONB node in order to make a corresponding change in another JSONB node.

Can this be either native in postgres, or even a pg function?

In general - how do people approach rules and decision logic in Postgres at a very large scale e.g. say 100,000 rules that must be evaluated on a commit?

If it makes more sense - please see the example screenshot on our features page at https://tallyfy.com/features - which visualizes conditional branching.

Thanks,
Amit
https://tallyfy.com