Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pg_basebackup failed to read a file

On 08/14/2018 09:14 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Mike Cardwell <mike.cardwell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

It'd be nice to have a more coherent theory about what needs to be copied
or not, and not fail on files that could simply be ignored.  Up to now
we've resisted having any centrally defined knowledge of what can be
inside a PG data directory, but maybe that bullet needs to be bitten.

This is not the first time, nor the second time this issue has arisen. I would think we would know that a coherent theory or at least semi-coherent theory would be pretty easy to resolve. Granted, we can't reasonably know what is going on under base but under the / of PGDATA, we know *exactly* what files should and should not be in there.

JD

***  A fault and talent of mine is to tell it exactly how it is.  ***
PostgreSQL centered full stack support, consulting and development.
Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://postgresconf.org
*****     Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.   *****