Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Replication failure, slave requesting old segments

Adrian Klaver wrote:
On 08/12/2018 03:54 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
Greetings,

* Phil Endecott (spam_from_pgsql_lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
OK.  I think this is perhaps a documentation bug, maybe a missing
warning when the master reads its configuration, and maybe (as you say)
a bad default value.

If we consider it to be an issue worthy of a change then we should
probably just change the default value, and maybe not even allow it to
be set lower than '1'.

I would say leave the default at 0 as it leaves no doubt that you are performing without a net. A setting of '1' implies you are covered and for a fast moving cluster or slow moving one with sufficient downtime that would not be the case.

Can you explain how it can fail in the case of a "slow moving cluster with
sufficient downtime"?

It seems to me that if I have correctly understood what happened in this
case then 0, the default, really cannot ever work properly when you have
enabled WAL archiving plus streaming.

Better to let the end user know this is not a simple problem and some thought needs to go into configuration.

I certainly agree that this is "not a simple problem", having read something
like 18,000 words of documentation multiple times and, apparently, still
got it wrong in multiple ways.

Regards, Phil.