Search Postgresql Archives

Re: postgres with xcode

On 07/28/2018 07:15 AM, Sumit Chaturvedi wrote:
Please reply to list also.
Ccing list.

Hello. Thanks a lot for your response. Yes that was also there.

Note: Bottom posting is the style on this list. Unfortunately the screenshot is not coming through on this reply. For those that see this the screenshot showed:

LC_ALL en_US.UTF8

Generally it is a better idea to cut and paste from command line output or a text file then show a screenshot. For the reason above and also because screenshots make it difficult for other users to cut and paste into their machines for testing/debugging purposes.

Back to the problem at hand. The error message only shows up in the section I quoted before with regards to locale handling on Macs.

Are you having any issues with starting Postgres outside of xcode?

On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 7:41 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 07/28/2018 04:04 AM, Sumit Chaturvedi wrote:
     > Hello everyone. I'm a third year student from IIT Bombay, India.
    Since
     > I'm currently learning about databases, I wanted to debug postgresql
     > with xcode. However, I am having a lot of problems.
     > OS - 10.13.6 (High Sierra)
     > Xcode - 9.4.1
     >
     > To set up my system, I tried to replicate the instructions found at
     > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_Eclipse
     > <https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_Eclipse> for my case.
     >
     > Everything proceeded fine until a point where I had to change the
    run
     > configuration (scheme in xcode terms). I set the executable as
    postgre
     > from /src/backend and gave the appropriate arguments. Then, when I
     > pressed run, I got an error as shown in the attachment.

    I can tell you where the error comes from:

    postmaster.c

    /*
    * On macOS, libintl replaces setlocale() with a version that calls
    * CFLocaleCopyCurrent() when its second argument is "" and every
    relevant
    * environment variable is unset or empty.  CFLocaleCopyCurrent() makes
    * the process multithreaded.  The postmaster calls sigprocmask() and
    * calls fork() without an immediate exec(), both of which have undefined
    * behavior in a multithreaded program.  A multithreaded postmaster
    is the
    * normal case on Windows, which offers neither fork() nor sigprocmask().
    */
    if (pthread_is_threaded_np() != 0)
          ereport(FATAL,
 (errcode(ERRCODE_OBJECT_NOT_IN_PREREQUISITE_STATE),
                              errmsg("postmaster became multithreaded
    during
    startup"),
                              errhint("Set the LC_ALL environment
    variable to
    a valid locale.")));

     > To solve it, I set up my environment variables in xcode
    appropriately to
     > make sure that locale information was reaching wherever it was
    needed.
     > But even now, when I press run I get the same error.

    I do not see that the LC_ALL environment variable is set, per the HINT
    to the FATAL message.