Search Postgresql Archives

Re: User documentation vs Official Docs

On 07/20/2018 05:48 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
On 07/20/2018 03:59 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

I don't see why we need this thread to continue.  This sounds like
somebody looking for a solution when they don't yet know what the
problem is.

Unfortunately, you don't understand the problem which is why this thread is happening on -general and not -hackers. The problem is simple as illustrated, our user documentation is less than stellar for those trying to solve specific problems. This isn't a new problem nor is it one that is not communicated. I hear the issue from users ever single time I speak or attend a conference/meetup.

I was hoping to get the -general community to step and build some recipes and howto articles without at the same time dictating the solution. That's a good thing because a non-dictated solution is likely to have more strength.

The wiki is a terrible choice but if that is where the community thinks it should go, I welcome people starting to contribute in a structured fashion to the wiki. I hope it works out well.

JD

I trust you took notes of specific things user were seeking. Lay those out, here or else where, and see if anyone steps up to answer something specific.  The majority of the audience here (me seriously not included) is NOT looking for how-tos. Generally given the chance on this list, members of that majority step in and provide very specific answers to specific questions (and sometime general notions are addressed as well). They, that majority, simply don't know what isn't obvious - until it isn't to someone.