Search Postgresql Archives

Re: What to do when dynamic shared memory control segment is corrupt

> On 18 Jun 2018, at 17:34, Sherrylyn Branchaw <sbranchaw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> In the other case, the logs recorded
>
> LOG:  all server processes terminated; reinitializing
> LOG:  dynamic shared memory control segment is corrupt
> LOG:  incomplete data in "postmaster.pid": found only 1 newlines while trying to add line 7
>
> In that case, the database did not restart on its own. It was 5 am on Sunday, so the on-call SRE just manually started the database up, and it appears to have been running fine since.

That rings a bell. Some versions of systemd apparently clean up shared memory belonging to a user when it detects the user logs out. ISTR that we had to disable that on our CentOS 7 server to stop crashes from happening.

More details here: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Systemd

Alban Hertroys