Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Pgagent is not reading pgpass file either in Windows or Linux.

On 05/30/2018 08:48 AM, nageswara Bandla wrote:

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 6:15 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 05/29/2018 03:57 PM, nageswara Bandla wrote:

        #1. Windows:

        My guess because the LocalSystem user does not have permissions
        on your:
        %APPDATA%/postgresql/pgpass.co <http://pgpass.co>
        <http://pgpass.co>nf
        file. This seems to be confirmed by it working when you run
        pgagent as the login user.
        Also:
        passfile
              Specifies the name of the file used to store passwords
        (see Section 33.15). Defaults to ~/.pgpass, or
        %APPDATA%\postgresql\pgpass.co <http://pgpass.co>
        <http://pgpass.co>nf on Microsoft Windows. (No error is reported
        if this file does not exist.)

Does that mean we can not use pgagent (when installed)  as a "LocalSystem" service account and define PGPASSFILE to a valid
        accessible location. ?

    Not sure as I do not use Windows much and do not have a good handle
    on how it handles permissions. You might try raising an issue below
    to see if you can get some guidance:

Thank you Adrian, let me also try to raise an issue there and see.

I am running pgagent command from postgres system user account where .pgpass is setup.

It’s definitely not a library issue. Since the same pgagent command that I gave earlier is working fine by  appending  “password=secret” at the end in pgagent command line.

That in of itself does not eliminate library issues as supplying the password removes the need for libpq to search for a .pgpass or env variable specifying the file or the password itself and that is where pgagent seems to be having the problem. This is more of a comment for future troubleshooting then the present as reducing the Postgres versions to one eliminates library issues.

*/usr/bin/pgagent_96 -f -l 2 hostaddr=127.0.0.1 dbname=linuxpostgresdb user=postgres port=5432 password=secret*

*
*

Anyway, I have tried your suggestion to clean up old postgres libraries and tried to keep only one version of postgres libraries exist in the entire system. It’s still same issue.

And I am trying in the same machine where the postgres is installed.

        When I run psql from postgres user; It works fine.
        *
        *
        */usr/bin/pgagent_96 -f -l 2 hostaddr=127.0.0.1
        dbname=linuxpostgresdb user=postgres port=5432*
        DEBUG: Creating primary connection
        DEBUG: Connection Information:
        DEBUG:      user         : postgres
        DEBUG:      port         : 5432
        DEBUG:      host         : 127.0.0.1
        DEBUG:      dbname       : linuxpostgresdb
        DEBUG:      password     :
        DEBUG:      conn timeout : 0
        DEBUG: Connection Information:
        DEBUG:      user         : postgres
        DEBUG:      port         : 5432
        DEBUG:      host         : 127.0.0.1
        DEBUG:      dbname       : linuxpostgresdb
        DEBUG:      password     :
        DEBUG:      conn timeout : 0
        DEBUG: Creating DB connection: user=postgres port=5432
        hostaddr=127.0.0.1 dbname=linuxpostgresdb
        WARNING: Couldn't create the primary connection (attempt 1):
        fe_sendauth: no password supplied
        DEBUG: Clearing all connections
        DEBUG: Connection stats: total - 1, free - 0, deleted - 1

        *# psql command is running fine:*
        psql -h 127.0.0.1 -d linuxpostgresdb -U postgres

        psql (8.4.20, server 9.6.6)
        WARNING: psql version 8.4, server version 9.6.
                   Some psql features might not work.
        Type "help" for help.

        linuxpostgresdb=#

--