Search Postgresql Archives

Streaming Replication between PostGreSQL 9.2.2 on Red Hat and PostGreSQL 9.2.24 on Debian

Hi there,

I'm trying to configure streaming replication between a Red Hat server running PostGreSQL 9.2.2 and a Debian server running PostGreSQL 9.2.24 with Hot Standby enabled.

While the base backup works fine using pg_basebackup, I get the following errors with hot standby enabled on the Debian slave when starting PostGreSQL:
WARNING:  WAL was generated with wal_level=minimal, data may be missing
HINT:  This happens if you temporarily set wal_level=minimal without taking a new base backup.
FATAL:  hot standby is not possible because wal_level was not set to "hot_standby" on the master server
HINT:  Either set wal_level to "hot_standby" on the master, or turn off hot_standby here

If I turn Hot Standby off on the Debian Slave I get the following errors:
FATAL:  database system identifier differs between the primary and standby
DETAIL:  The primary's identifier is 5940475598986796885, the standby's identifier is 6557962695089036503.

Configuring streaming replication with Hot Standby enabled locally on the Red Hat server works like a charm, and I've thus concluded that the issues must be one of the following:
- PostGreSQL's minor version differs between the 2 servers
- The two servers are running different operating systems

Any insight or guidance as to achieve this scenario would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Jona