Search Postgresql Archives

Re: issues when installing postgres

On 05/09/2018 02:47 PM, Antonio Silva wrote:
Hello Adrian

Are you using the Ubuntu or Postgres repos?
 > I'm using the Ubuntu repos

Can you connect to Postgres using psql?
 > No I cannot

What does ps ax | grep post show?

My guess is you are going to have to reinstall Postgres.

Thanks

Antonio

    On 05/08/2018 05:54 PM, Antonio Silva wrote:

        Hello!

    Comments inline.

        I bought a new computer and I installed Ubuntu 18.04 and after
        PostgreSQL.
        sudo apt install postgresql postgresql-contrib pgadmin3

    Are you using the Ubuntu or Postgres repos?

        Nevertheless I had some issues with configuration files and
        decided to
        uninstall it completely
        sudo apt purge postgresql postgresql-contrib pgadmin3

        When I installed it again I notice that postgresql.conf and
        pg_hba.conf
        were the oldies files. Then I uninstall Postgres once more and
        removed the
        directory /etc/postgresql/

        After a new install I noticed that the directory
        /etc/postgresql/ was
        completely empty - it was not created again. There are no more
        postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf files. I could find only
        postgresql.conf.sample and pg_hba.conf.sample at
        /usr/share/postgresql/10

        /etc/init.d/postgresql status says that Postgres is running fine

    Can you connect to Postgres using psql?

        ● postgresql.service - PostgreSQL RDBMS
        Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/postgresql.service; enabled;
        vendor
        preset: enabled)
        Active: active (exited) since Tue 2018-05-08 10:43:23 -03; 1h
        55min ago
        Process: 6451 ExecStart=/bin/true (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
        Main PID: 6451 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

    To be running the server would need its conf files somewhere.

        What should I have to do to heve the folder /etc/postgresql/10/
        ... and all
        its files agais?

    If you are going to use the packages then yes.

        I really appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

        All the best

-- Antônio Olinto Ávila da Silva

-- Adrian Klaver
    adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx>