Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Known Bugs on Postgres 9.5

On 05/05/2018 03:10 PM, Anudeep Gudipelli wrote:
Hi vick,

Is there any documentation on bugs, I can’t find them on release notes. Based on the release notes I can see that 9.6 will perform better than 9.5, but I would like to know if there are any known bugs in both 9.5 and 9.6 . The reason is I need to present a business model to which version we can upgrade.

Look at the release notes for 9.6. The descriptions for each item will tell you what was added/changed or improved e.g.:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/release-9-6.html

"
E.13.3.1.11. Reliability

Force backends to exit if the postmaster dies (Rajeev Rastogi, Robert Haas)

Under normal circumstances the postmaster should always outlive its child processes. If for some reason the postmaster dies, force backend sessions to exit with an error. Formerly, existing backends would continue to run until their clients disconnect, but that is unsafe and inefficient. It also prevents a new postmaster from being started until the last old backend has exited. Backends will detect postmaster death when waiting for client I/O, so the exit will not be instantaneous, but it should happen no later than the end of the current query.
"

Changes are back ported to current supported versions that have the same feature, so if was fixed in 9.6 and existed in 9.5 it was fixed there also. That would cover fixed bugs up to the last minor release. As to what is being worked on for the next minor release you will need to wade through the archives here:

https://www.postgresql.org/list/pgsql-bugs/

Know that there is a regular regular cycle for bug fixes:

https://www.postgresql.org/developer/roadmap/

If there is a show stopper bug a release will happen between the scheduled dates .

Thank you,
Anudeep

--
Adrian Klaver