Search Postgresql Archives

Re: rh-postgresql96 vs community postgresql-9.6

On 04/23/2018 08:59 AM, yogeshr wrote:
Our client has provided us Red Hat machine for setting up PostgreSQL. We are
allowed to install red hat provided packages only.

What version of RH?

So we have to install red hat provided postgresql (rh-postgresql96) instead
of postgresql-9.6.

Is it a good approach to go with red hat specific PostgreSQL in production
instead of community PostgreSQL?

It is the same code so that should not be a problem. The issues would be support and version life:

So do you have RH support for longer then 5 years of community support for a version?

Will you be able to upgrade to new version in future?

Also, we were trying to set up repmgr for this PostgreSQL in the local
environment but we didn't find any suitable package for this PostgreSQL.
That is something you are going to have to talk over with your client. A RH-provided package only policy is going to prevent them from participating in the diverse third party package community that exists around Postgres.

How can we install any high availability solution like repmgr for Red Hat
provided PostgreSQL?

That is probably some you will have to discuss with RH.

any help would be appreciated.

--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-f1843780.html

--