Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Question about buffers_alloc in pg_stat_bgwriter view for monitoring

On 29/03/2018 20:24, Alvar Freude wrote:
Hi,

Am 29.03.2018 um 10:30 schrieb Gunnar Nick Bluth <gunnar.bluth@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Thus, buffer_alloc is the global count of buffers allocated in the
cluster. That it appears in the bgwriter statistics is more or less
coincidental.
But it seems not to be the total shared_buffers used, but the total number of allocated and re-allocated buffers. So it increments every time a buffer is allocated. Maybe I’m the only one who misunderstands it – or someone with better english then me should update the docs. ;-)

But shared_buffers represents the max no of postgresql buffers, per server, at any given time. It is a limit (constant) not a metric. The count of all concurrent buffers at any given time must be less than shared_buffers.
So my question is : Does buffer_alloc represent the total read/write traffic of the database since the last reset?

Ciao
  Alvar

--
Alvar C.H. Freude | http://alvar.a-blast.org