Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Want to disable fully qualified table names on pg_dump in pg_dump (PostgreSQL) 9.6.8

On 03/15/2018 04:00 PM, Foolish Ewe wrote:
Hello All:

A number of our team members and I use pg_dump to export schema in an Ubuntu 16.04 environment, I happen to have a postgress 9.6.4 server that runs in a docker container, and in some cases I see the following select statement and fully qualified table names in the
CREATE TABLE and ALTER TABLE statements:

SELECT pg_catalog.set_config('search_path', '', false);

CREATE TABLE database_name.table_name

I am pretty sure you are actually seeing:

CREATE TABLE schema_name.table_name

and likewise for ALTER TABLE.

But other users (who haven't updated their systems recently) do not see the SELECT statement and we see unqualified table names, e.g.:

CREATE TABLE table_name

These changes in format impact our workflows, we would prefer to have unqualified table names.

Does anyone have an idea of what might cause this?   Is there something we can do on the client side to avoid getting qualified table names?

The reason:

https://www.postgresql.org/about/news/1834/

"The purpose of this release is to address CVE-2018-1058, which describes how a user can create like-named objects in different schemas that can change the behavior of other users' queries and cause unexpected or malicious behavior, also known as a "trojan-horse" attack. "

More information

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/A_Guide_to_CVE-2018-1058:_Protect_Your_Search_Path

There is no flag to unset this.

With best regards: