Search Postgresql Archives

Re: wrong message when trying to create an already existing index

On 03/10/2018 07:00 AM, legrand legrand wrote:
Hello,
When trying to create an already existing index (in pg 9.5)

SQL> create  index if not exists NEWINDEX on SCHEMA.TABLE(COL);
       > relation "NEWINDEX" already exists, skipping

message speaks about relation (and not index)

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/catalog-pg-class.html

"The catalog pg_class catalogs tables and most everything else that has columns or is otherwise similar to a table. This includes indexes (but see also pg_index), sequences (but see also pg_sequence), views, materialized views, composite types, and TOAST tables; see relkind. Below, when we mean all of these kinds of objects we speak of “relations”. Not all columns are meaningful for all relation types."

Would it be possible that this message reports the correct object type ?
Regards
PAscal

--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-f1843780.html