Search Postgresql Archives

Re: data-checksums

On 01/09/2018 12:22 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
On 2018-01-09 20:04:04 +0100, Rakesh Kumar wrote:
I also would like to believe that the hit is small, but when PG
official document writes "noticeable performance penalty", it becomes
difficult to convince management that the hit is small :-)
Why believe, when you can measure?
yup doing that.  But I still feel that PG documentation should stay
away from such scare mongering.  Or did the lawyers write that :)
So we should rather lie about it having a potential for performance
impact? Who'd be helped by that?

It isn't a lie, it depends on the workload and hardware. Adjusting the documentation to say something like the following probably isn't a bad idea:

The use of the data checksum feature may incur a performance penalty. However, this does depend on your particular workload and provisioned hardware. It is wise to test the feature based on your specific requirements.

JD

PostgreSQL centered full stack support, consulting and development.
Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://postgresconf.org
*****     Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.   *****