Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How Many Partitions are Good Performing

On Tue, Jan 09, 2018 at 12:54:18AM +0100, Rakesh Kumar wrote:
> Can somebody tell us how many partitions are good number without
> impacting the performance. We are hearing around a thousand, is that a
> limit. Do we have plan to increase the number of partitions for a
> table. We would appreciate if somebody can help us with this?

What matters here is that the bottleneck comes from the planner which
uses basically a O(N^2) algorithm to evaluate all the partitions, so a
too high number causes planning time to increase dramatically. In
Postgres 11, things get improved with more partition-wise logics.
--
Michael