Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Problems importing Unicode

matthias@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Well, they were generated by MySQL and I can open them with e.g. the
Windows Editor Notepad. But I don't know if they are actually encoded in
UNICODE.
Since I can open the file with Notepad and read the statements, I assume,
it is not UNICODE. They look just like in the email below.

Probably some WINxxx encoding. I've seen something similar with data from MS-Access.

The problem are apparently those characters Å or ô and I really would like
to know how to import those files into PostgreSQL 8.0.0

Is there a switch I can use to do a codepage / encoding translation?

Why are MS Access or even MySQL able to read those files without trouble
but PostgreSQL reports an error?

Because they're using the same WIN locale details. What you might want to try is to set your client encoding at the top of the batch file and see if PostgreSQL can't convert it for you.

SET CLIENT_ENCODING = WIN1250;

There's a list of encodings PG can convert for you in the manual (see the chapter "Automatic Character Set Conversion Between Server and Client" in the Localization section.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd