Search Postgresql Archives

Re: OID's

Michael Glaesemann wrote:

On Nov 15, 2004, at 3:52 PM, Jamie Deppeler wrote:

 Hi,

I am planning to use OID for referencing as instead PK -->> FK on this situation would require alot of tables, OID would seen to nice solution.

My worry with OID's is when i do SQL dump and rebuild the Database will OID will change making referencing certain records impossible.

Don't use OIDS. Just add a nice SERIAL column to the tables you want as foreign keys (and if you have questions about sequences, check the FAQ).

OIDS are a system level implementation. They are no longer required (you can make tables without OIDS) and they may go away someday. Plus, you avoid nastiness like OID wraparound.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

(Is it just me, or have there been a slew of these OID posts lately?)