Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PG Schema to be used as log and monitoring store

My initial inclination is to always build the simplest to understand system first. Space is cheap and pg is pretty efficient, engineering time is expensive and debugging time doubly so with a side of anxiety when production goes down. Also, it will allow more flexibility later on to describe your current setup semantically rathe than in a condensed form.

I would suggest building a simpler schema and benchmarking insert times and storage space.

If you go with your condensed form, I would suggest writing functions to extract any data that is more complicated than one _expression_ involving one field.

Just my 2¢.

Best wishes,

Jim