Search Postgresql Archives

Re: 24x7x365 high-volume ops ideas

Tino Wildenhain wrote:

Hi,

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 14:17, Richard_D_Levine@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Chris and Karim,

I haven't been following this thread, so excuse me if I suggest something
that has already been tossed out.

Solaris allows multiple IP addresses to be assigned to a single NIC. I
just looked at the man page for Linux ifconfig but didn't see quickly how
to do this. If Linux doesn't allow this, the same thing can be
accomplished using multiple NICs per server.

ifconfig device:<alias> ipaddress up

For linux.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

We reserve a special IP for the DB server.  This IP can be assigned to the
NIC of the machine currently hosting the database.  If you want apps to
connect to a different server, remove the IP from one machine and reassign
it to the other.  This special DB IP is assigned on top of the regular IP
for the machine.

Newly connecting apps are never the wiser, but existing connections must be
terminated.

Yes, linux can do it as well. But either case beware the arp cache :-) There is sqlrelay which could do the switching as well without forcing the apps to reconnect.

Regards
Tino

+1-503-667-4564 - jd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - http://www.commandprompt.com

begin:vcard
fn:Joshua Drake
n:Drake;Joshua
org:Command Prompt, Inc.
adr:;;PO Box 215 ;Cascade Locks;OR;97014;US
email;internet:jd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Consultant
tel;work:503-667-4564
tel;fax:503-210-0334