Search Postgresql Archives

Re: OID's

> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 08:01 pm, Joolz wrote:
> > Michael Glaesemann zei:
> > >
> > > OIDS are a system level implementation. They are no longer required
> > > (you can make tables without OIDS) and they may go away someday.
> >
> > Out of curiosiry: how will we handle blobs once the OID's are gone?
> >
> I would guess bytea would become the standard for blob use.  The size
> is limited to about 1G compressed, but I would guess most people don't
> store 2G files in there DB at the moment, or have that much ram to be
> able to handle a value that big.

Bytea cannot be a replacement of large objects Besides the 1G limit of
bytea, storing 1G requires over 2G RAM is a serious problem.

To be honest I don't understand why people hate OIDs. Most of problems
with OID just come from the fact that it's a 32bit. Once extending it
64bit, all problems would go away.

However using OIDs with large object is not a very good idea IMO. I
think using user specified key for large objects would be better.
--
Tatsuo Ishii