Search Postgresql Archives

Re: VM-Ware Backup of VM safe?

Il 20/09/2017 13:36, PT ha scritto:
On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 10:03:15 +0200
Thomas Güttler <guettliml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We run a PostgreSQL 9.6 server in a virtual machine.

The virtual machine is managed by the customer.

He does backup the VM.

Is this enough, is this safe?
There are so many variables involved with doing that ... I don't think
anyone can reliably answer that question.

I recommend you put together a periodic test schedule where you restore
a machine from the backup and ensure everything works. To be honest, you
should be doing that anyway.

In addition, can you afford to lose data? You take a snapshot, say, nightly at 3am, if you have an incident at 6pm and nothing is recoverable, you need to recover from backup and doing so you lose 15 hours of data updates. If you can't afford that, then you should implement something like WAL shipping (with tools like barman) that, given a backup made via pg_basebackup(), it's able to rewind all WAL files and bring you in the last state (that's Point-In-Time Recovery feature).