Search Postgresql Archives

Re: WAL & ready files retained after turning off log shipping

On 09/07/2017 09:32 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@xxxxxxx> writes:
On 09/07/2017 09:08 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Manual cleanup shouldn't be very hard, fortunately.  Run pg_controldata
to see where the last checkpoint is, and delete WAL files whose names
indicate they are before that (but not the one including the checkpoint!).
All WAL files after log shipping was stopped will keep accumulating "forever"?
Hmm ... on second thought, I think if you just remove the .ready/.done
files, the next checkpoint should clean up the old WAL files.  That'd
certainly be safer than doing it manually.

This weekend, (early Sunday morning) WAL files on the master started accumulating again. Now, .ready files are regenerated every time I delete them, even though according to pg_controldate the last checkpoint was 28 minutes ago.