Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Development of an extension for PostgreSQL and PostGIS

In order to get an LWGEOM from PostGIS you'll need to convert from the serialized form (GSERIALIZED) which you can read all about in the liblwgeom.h header. You'll be adding a hard dependency of course, but hopefully you're OK with that.

If you're just hoping to build a compound type, as your example shows, you can do that without a C extension, just read up on CREATE TYPE.

For an alternate example of an extension with a lighter dependency on PostGIS, check out pgpointcloud, which has it's own structure for spatial data (a point patch) and exchanges data with PostGIS via well-known-binary. This removes the liblwgeom dependency, which means it's possible to compile and use pgpointcloud without PostGIS installed, which is not entirely uncommon.