Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Question about loading up a table

On 2017-07-31 11:02, Alex Samad wrote:
Hi

I am using pg_dump | psql to transfer data from my old 9.2 psql into a
9.6 psql.

The new DB server is setup as master replicating to a hot standby
server.

What I have noticed is that the rows don't get replicated over until
the copy from stdin is finished...  hard to test when you have M+ lines
of rows.

If you are "just testing" then you could use the COPY command https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/sql-copy.html
to generate a smaller dataset.

Is there a way to tell the master to replicate earlier

I highly doubt it, because the master cannot know what to replicate until
your transaction is ended with a COMMIT. If you end with ROLLBACK,
or your last query is DELETE FROM (your_table>;
then there isn't even anything to replicate at all...

or is there a
way to get pg_dump to bundle into say 100K rows at a time ?

I'm not aware of such a feature, it would be quite tricky because
of dependencies between records. You cannot simply dump the first 100k rows from table A and the first 100k from table B, because row #9 from table A
may have a relation to row 100.001 from table B.