Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Regarding creating pgpointcloud extension.

Thank you Tom. I have already started running queries from the corresponding extension. Let's see how far I get! :)

Regards,
Nandish

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 1:03 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Nandish Jayaram <njayaram@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I have been trying to get pgpointcloud running on greenplum 5.0 database.
> This might seem like a convoluted topic to discuss on this mailing list, but
> the reason I am asking here is that Greenplum 5 is based on postgres 8.4
> and pgpointcloud requires at least postgres 9.0 it seems.

[ scratches head... ]  The whole concept of extensions came in with PG 9.1.
So unless Greenplum cherry-picked that feature from later, I don't
understand how you didn't get something more like this:

=# create extension foo;
ERROR:  syntax error at or near "extension"
LINE 1: create extension foo;
               ^

> So I am wondering:
> how does one figure out which postgres 9.0 features in particular does
> pgpointcloud depend on?

You could try feeding the extension's SQL file directly to psql (in a
scratch database so you can clean up easily).  If, as is considered
good practice, it starts with something like this:

-- complain if script is sourced in psql, rather than via CREATE EXTENSION
\echo Use "CREATE EXTENSION cube" to load this file. \quit

then you'll need to delete that; but the rest of it should be regular
SQL, and you can see what's failing.

                        regards, tom lane