Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Invalid field size

Il 04/07/2017 17:42, Daniel Verite ha scritto:
	Moreno Andreo wrote:

As you can see I have 2 bytea fields, blob and thumbnail (the one it
seems it's giving the error), but AFAIK the former is never used, so it
should be always null.
Googling around did not help.

Despite the auto-correction mechanisms in place in modern drives [1],
the probability of a non-correctable error is not negligible,
so it's plausible that it's what you're experiencing.

If that's the case and only byte is wrong in the whole file, you could
theorically fix it by finding the offset of the offending length and patch
the wrong byte with a 0xff value.

[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive#Error_rates_and_handling

So if it's the case (hardware error), recalling a new backup should reproduce the error, right?
When the user comes back from holidays I'll call him and check this.

Thanks
Moreno.