Search Postgresql Archives

Re: storing postgres data on dropbox

Am 18.06.2017 um 03:03 schrieb Martin Mueller:
This is a queestion from a Postgresql novice.

I use Postgresql in a single-user environment on a Mac with OS Sierra. I use AquaFold DataStudio as a client, which is nice but also keeps me woefully ignorant about many aspects of the underlying application.

As I understand it, Postgres data are stored in my homedirectory /users/martin/Library ApplicationSupport/Postgres/var9.5/base/. I have read things on the Web about backing up data to Dropbox (I have 80GB of data) . But that means that my data sit first in the base directory, then in the Dropbox directory from which they are backed up to the Dropbox cloud. So my 80 GB of data take up 160GB on my machine. Is there a way of installing the base directory directly in the Dropbox directory so that the data are stored only once on my machine?

You can store Backups there (dumps), but i would strongly advise against to store the db there. PostgreSQL relys on the fsync, that's not possible in this case. I'm sure, a total data disaster would not be a question, only when it would happen.

Why not a PostgreSQL-database somewhere in the cloud?

Regards, Andreas

--
2ndQuadrant - The PostgreSQL Support Company.
www.2ndQuadrant.com