Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Repmgr + pgbouncer - Notification of master promotion to application level ...

Am 15.06.2017 um 11:57 schrieb Martin Goodson:

The issues I think I would have with pgbouncer at the application level is ...

1) What if an application server is down when pgbouncer tries to update where the database IP is pointing to? When it is brought back into service could that create a split-brain scenario if it's still pointing to the old master? Since the only STONITH here is 'I've told you to talk to server X instead of server Y' what happens if somebody doesn't get that message and the old master is still up and about (e.g. the failover was caused by a transient error such as a power issue or network issue that the 'old master' was able to quickly recover from and come back online)? :)

yeah, that's problematic here.

2) We use a non-trivial number of application servers. Could that create 'failover lag' due to the amount of time it takes to notify all the pgbouncers to stop, change IP, and restart?

possible, yes.

3) Since we use a non-trivial number of application servers, the administrative overhead of pushing all user password changes up to each pgbouncer could be a bit of a pain (candidate for an automation tool like ansible, perhaps?)

use auth_query instead of auth_file.

Regards, Andreas

--
2ndQuadrant - The PostgreSQL Support Company.
www.2ndQuadrant.com