Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Questions regarding JSON processing

On 4/25/2017 9:21 PM, Glen Huang wrote:
For updating db using JSON requests from clients, that I'm not so sure. Should I directly pass the request JSON to PostgreSQL and ask it to parse this JSON and execute a transaction all by itself, or should I parse it in the server and generate the transaction SQL and execute that on PostgreSQL? The former sounds optimal, but I'm not sure if PostgreSQL is able to walk a JSON structure and run a transaction along the way? Should I do it with PL/pgSQL? It seems functions can't execute a transaction?

what does "walk a JSON structure and run a transaction along the way" actual entail? Normally, the application starts a transaction, executes one or more SQL commands, then does a commit or rollback. any JSON would be within this transaction. functions are called within a transaction.

If your JSON includes instructions as well as data, I'd be rather cautious of letting a remote client send that directly to the database server unless you can ensure that nothing hostile can be done with it, or completely trust all clients.