Search Postgresql Archives

Re: referential integrity between elements of an array and another table?

On 04/19/2017 01:13 PM, Henry M wrote:
I was just reading this question on reddit (the text duplicated below). I was wondering if there is an approach for handling array foreign key references. I am interested in the answer since I started using array fields as well. Thank you.

----- below is the message from the reddit poster:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PostgreSQL/comments/66a74t/question_referential_integrity_between_elements/

First off, thanks for taking the time. I don't see any "weekly help threads" or anything so I hope it's okay I made a post.

The Problem

I'm extending our CRM database in order to manage the ISO documentation of the company for which I work. We need, as part of ISO, to keep track of project development meetings and attendees.

Currently, I have a "meetings" table with an attendee list as an array of integers, each element corresponding to the id field in the "person" table.

How do I enforce referential integrity between elements of this array and the id field in "person"? All I could find was a proposed change for 9.2 or 9.3 that got shot down...

Please help. I don't want to do a join table.

Unless you have thousands of attendees per meeting and everyone in multiple meetings per day I would encourage a join table.  What's your hesitation for doing so?  Note I'm an array user myself, so not against arrays per se, but there should be a justification for denormalizing (depending your definition thereof).