Search Postgresql Archives

Re: A change in the Debian install

On Wed, 2017-04-05 at 21:14 -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> What repos are you using, the Debian or the PGDG one?
>
> I guess the question I should really ask is, are you using a repo or
> some other method to upgrade?

Upgraded from standard Debian repos.

Nothing else was changed other than the binaries.
It appears that the prior version obtained postgresql.conf from the
PGDATA path whilst the 9.6.2-2 looked in the Postgres /etc paths where
it tried to use the conf file, and as a consequence, the autovacuum
daemon was not started.
I removed the Postgres /etc conf file and as it didn't find one there,
fell back to the PGDATA path and all is well.

> That is packaging dependent. When using the Debian/Ubuntu
> postgresql-common system the postgresql.conf will be in
> /etc/postgresql/version/cluster_name/

I'm quite happy with the standard /etc/postgresql/major_version/main
method of installation. It means you can run different major versions
on the same box.

Cheers,
Rob