Search Postgresql Archives

Re: browser interface to forums please?

On 04/05/2017 11:46 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 7:22 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:jd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Stackoverflow gives back by providing an interface people want to
    use. It is free (as in beer) and is hugely popular.

I think one of the greatest things that Stackoverflow brins isn't
actually the interface (I for one can't stand it, but I'm clearly not
the target group here), but it's the fact that they have the *userbase*
of people. We have a userbase of "people already using postgres and many
of them having done so for some time because there's a threshold to get
over to join this mailinglist thing". Stackoverflow has a userbase that
is orders of magnitude higher, because they provide a venue for people
to ask questions about *anything* -- so they can use the same venue to
ask about their programming language, their framework-du-jour, their
database, their operating system etc etc.

I would agree with that.

This is one reason why I don't think having PostgreSQL dedicated web
forums would actually be very interesting today. Those people who prefer
to use the web as their media are more likely to already be using other
platforms which bring them *more value* than a PostgreSQL dedicated
forum ever would. And they don't have to sing up for Yet Another
Account. And they can work on whatever credit-style-kickback their
favorite platform does.

Which is a reasonable opinion and why my point is more about interfacing with those external communities in some positive fashion (vs propping our own infrastructure).

    We need to be embracing these external communities because it is
    where our growth is. I run into people every single week that
    absolutely refuse to join these lists. They want nothing to do with
    email and they have good reason.

Fully agreed. And I think we're better off doing that than to try to
rebuild our own version of those communities.

+1

Thanks,

JD

                        +1-503-667-4564
Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.