Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Constraint exclusion-like behavior for UNION ALL views

On 3/29/17 3:39 PM, David G. Johnston wrote:

That said, I'm not sure what using materialized views instead of normal
tables buys you in the first place.  I could see possibly using a
materialized view as the current month's table but the historical tables
usually don't require refreshing.

My example was simplified for brevity. The actual materialized views in question do a significant amount of work, pulling from several other tables, grouping/aggregating, etc. It would be possible to have that same query populate a normal table instead of being stored as a materialized view, but there's a reason materialized views were created in the first place -- to avoid the overhead of manually creating triggers and so forth -- and I was hoping to find a way to retain those advantages while also being able to partition the views by date.

My thought was that since check constraints already exist for regular tables, and since materialized views are implemented as tables (or table-like substances) it seems reasonable that materialized views should support check constraints and the query optimization that comes with them.

-Tony