Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Request to add feature to the Position function

On 03/27/2017 09:15 AM, David G. Johnston wrote:
On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 9:03 AM, Brian Dunavant <brian@xxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:brian@xxxxxxxxxx>>wrote:

    That does not return the correct answer for the original poster's
    request.

    flpg=#
    ​​
    select position('om' in reverse('Tomomasaaaaaaaaaaa'));
     position
    ----------
           15
    (1 row)

​Easy oversight to make - if you reverse the string being searched you
must also reverse the string that you are looking for.

That said the OP hasn't actually defined what they mean by "locate" when
considered in a backward sense - some length adjustments might be needed
to compensate for the length of the term being searched for.

I think there is also a RTL language involved, so we may need more information to answer the question.

Patches are welcomed.  Given the lack of any links to previous requests
of this nature I'd say its not exactly a highly in-demand capability.

David J.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx