Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Postgres backup solution

On Tue, 14 Mar 2017, Adrian Klaver wrote:

What would be a recommended solution for backing up a very large Postgres
(~13TeraBytes) database in order to prevent from data deletion/corruption.
Current setup is only to backup/restore to a standby read-only Postgres
server via AWS S3 using wal-e however this does not offer the comfort of
keeping a full backup available in case we need to restore some deleted or
corrupted data.

Still not coming through as plain text. You might want to talk to whoever is in charge of the email server.

Lawrence,

  A.) My MUA is alpine and your message displays just fine here.

  2.) I'm far from being a professional DBA but if I had to back up a 13T
database what I'd do (since I use only linux) is run pg_dump with the
archive (tar) format, then use dirvish to synchronize it with a remote copy.
Dirvish <http://www.dirvish.org/> uses rsync and records only changes since
the last run. I use it to back up my server/workstation daily. I've restored
files accidently deleted with no problems using either cp or rsync.

  That's my $0.25 worth (inflation, you know).

Regards,

Rich