Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Recovery damaged dump file

On 03/09/2017 03:55 AM, mac pack wrote:
Hi.

My PostgreSQL server was affect by a Ransomware virus. I'm trying to
restore the database from a dump file made by pg_dump in custom format
(-F c option), but the dump file seems to be damaged in the first's 1000
lines.

Opening the file with vi shows ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^ followed by part of
the databse schema and the a lote of lines with binary characters that i
think is the table's data.

The custom format is a binary format so non text characters would be expected.

Did you try to restore using the file, before doing the below?

If there was an error when you did that and if so what was it?

I tried to replace those first lines with lines from other dev database
and i can run pg_restore but at some point throws error.

pg_restore  db.backup > out.sql

pg_restore: [custom archiver] unrecognized data block type (0) while
searching archive

The follow commands works fine:
pg_restore  -s db.backup > out.sql
pg_restore -l db.backup

Do you think it's possible to recover the dump file, is there any method
or tool to recover dump files?

Thanks.
Mário

--