Search Postgresql Archives

Re: checkpoint clarifications needed

On 01/09/2017 06:47 AM, Tom DalPozzo wrote:
        https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/wal-internals.html
        <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/wal-internals.html>

    "After a checkpoint has been made and the log flushed, the
    checkpoint's position is saved in the file pg_control. Therefore, at
    the start of recovery, the server first reads pg_control and then
    the checkpoint record; then it performs the REDO operation by
    scanning forward from the log position indicated in the checkpoint
    record. Because the entire content of data pages is saved in the log
    on the first page modification after a checkpoint (assuming
    full_page_writes is not disabled), all pages changed since the
    checkpoint will be restored to a consistent state."

Hi, yes I know that, it's what I meant in my point 3). As it says first
 "the checkpoint's position (NOT the record)is saved in the file
pg_control" then I had some doubt.

Yes it is just one piece of information stored in the file.

To see what else is stored there do:

pg_controldata -D your_cluster_data_directory

Regards
Pupillo

--
Adrian Klaver