Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Looking for an online mentor

On 12/08/2016 04:47 PM, Metare Solve wrote:
I'll check out the django girls, thanks. There's also a group of women
coders in DC who hold a lot of trainings and events. I'll see if they
have a level I python coming up.

You made me think about something about the GUI's: In my old job I used
alteryx because we were working with datasets from 20M-250M. When I got
laid off, I lost access to alteryx (unless I want to get a free trial).
I asked a guy who's pretty familiar with my skillset what I should be
using, R? He said to look for an open source gui/alteryx alternative. I
found one called KNIME that I like a lot.

R is very much a viable language for statistical analysis, FYI, Python has binding to R, in other words you can use Python to work with R. Though if you go that route I would suggest Pandas:

http://pandas.pydata.org/

But, what I'm gathering is, you think this is a crutch too. Will Python
enable me to do the same things that I do with that kind of big data
processing program? Should I be aiming for that as the ultimate rather
than "mastering" KNIME (or whatever, just looking to design my
curriculum). At my old job when I asked the same guy about SQL and how
some of the coding bits we did in the tool configuration looked like
SQL, he said alteryx is SQL on crack.

I need SOMETHING to use for analysis for the tests I'm going to have to
take when I job hunt so I'm exploring KNIME right now and doing the data
manipulation into what I'd do in access for analysis. I know, I need
stats too. You were educated as a biologist? I was educated as a
pianist, writer, and historian, lol. I have a lot to learn.

There is nothing wrong with GUI's per se, it is just that you often are constrained by whatever tools the developers provide. They are good way to start though, especially if they give you the ability to see what they are passing to the datasource. Then you can learn as you work.

However, we're veering away from postgres, which may not be appropriate
on the forum. I'd like to continue the conversation, though.

Hey, if gets you using Postgres all is good.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx