Search Postgresql Archives

Re: FreeBSD 10 => 11: Dump and reload your PostgreSQL database unless you like it broken

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 7:33 AM, Michael Sheaver <msheaver@xxxxxx> wrote:
> I would like to echo the sentiment on collation and expand it to
> character sets in general. When issues with them come up, they do
> take an incredible amount of time and effort to resolve, and are
> one of my own biggest pain points when dealing with databases and
> datasets from other sources.

I would be much happier if most developers understood the
difference between a character set (e.g., Unicode) and a character
encoding scheme (e.g., UTF-8 or UTF-16) and how the two concepts
relate.  If we reached a point where most DBAs understood the point
of being able to set a client_encoding that is different from the
server_encoding, I think I would need to pop the cork on some
champagne.

Hm.  Maybe a topic for a blog post....

--
Kevin Grittner