Search Postgresql Archives

Re: About the MONEY type

Tobia Conforto schrieb am 30.11.2016 um 12:15:
> I think MONEY is a great datatype, at least in theory.

I personally find it pretty useless to be honest - especially because the currency symbol depends on the client.

So if I store a money value in the database, some clients see CHF, some see Kč, some see £ and others might see € - all see the same amount.
Which seems totally wrong because 10€ is something completely different then 10Kč or 10£.

Plus: inside a programming language (e.g. Java/JDBC) it's hard to work with the values because the database sends the values as a string (it has to because of the currency symbol) but in reality it is a number - but you can't just convert the String to a number again because of the symbol.

So I always recommend to not use it (in Postgres just as well as in other DBMS, e.g. SQL Server)