Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Upgrade from 9.5.4 to 9.6.1

On Wed, 16 Nov 2016, Alban Hertroys wrote:

pg_upgrade migrates your databases from your old (9.5) cluster to the
new (9.6) one. Initdb doesn't do that.

Alban,

  That's what I assumed to be the case.

If your 9.6 database does indeed contain your databases, then something
must have done the pg_upgrade for you. Perhaps the slackware package
script does something like that,

  No, it only builds the package. I manually install it and run initdb.

What I think what happened is that you are using the new pg 9.6 psql
binary to list the databases in your old 9.5 cluster.

  Not only list them, but access them from the command line. This is what
I'm trying to understand.

  Regardless, I'll stop the running postgres, run pg_upgrade, then start it
from the /9.6/data/ directory.

Thanks,

Rich