Search Postgresql Archives

Re: update records to have occurance number

> On 25 Oct 2016, at 17:06, Mark Lybarger <mlybarger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I want to update a table to have the value of the occurrence number.  For instance, I have the below table.  I want to update the number column to increment the count of last name occurrences, so that it looks like this:
>
> first	last	1
> second	last	2
> third	last	3
> first	other	1
> next	other	 2
>
> Here's my simple table:
>
> create table person ( fname text, lname text, number integer);
>
> insert into person (fname, lname) values ('first', 'last');
> insert into person (fname, lname) values ('second', 'last');
> insert into person (fname, lname) values ('third', 'last');
>
> insert into person (fname, lname) values ('first', 'other');
> insert into person (fname, lname) values ('next', 'other');
>
> How would I issue an update statement to update the number column?

That depends on which order you want the database to perceive those rows in.
The above example suggests that alphabetical order on fname might work, in which case:

update person set number = count(p2.fname) +1
  from person p2
 where p2.lname = person.lname
   and p2.fname < person.fname;

Alban Hertroys