Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How pg_dump works

Il 10/10/2016 14:16, Achilleas Mantzios ha scritto:
On 10/10/2016 14:50, Moreno Andreo wrote:
Hi all,
    I need to pg_dump a database to another server.
The particularity is that the database is bigger than remaining space on disk. Obviously, this is not a problem because i'm dumping to another host, but I need to know if the procedure streams data to remote host or the data itself is packed up in temporary file(s) that are sent to remote host. The former would be such a problem, because there are good chances I'll have my disk filled up...

I've not found details on this in documentation.

In fact, in the docs there is all the info you might ever need. PostgreSQL project excels on that compared to *many* free-software projects. Now what you could do is something like :
createdb -h your_big_server your_database
pg_dump -h your_small_server your_database | psql -h your_big_server -f - your_database

Thanks, I was aware of this usage. I just wanted to be sure no additional disk space has to be used in "small_server".

Thanks
Moreno.