Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Installing 9.6 RC on Ubuntu [Solved]

On 09/13/2016 11:23 AM, Steve Crawford wrote:

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Steve Crawford
<scrawford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:scrawford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
wrote:

    I'm trying to install 9.6 RC1 on Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial on my laptop
    and it seems broken.

    Installation of 9.6 RC1 on Centos was straightforward by comparison
    - just add the 9.6 yum package and install. Unfortunately Ubuntu
    seems second-class by comparison.

    I already have /etc/apt.repos.d/pgdg.list with:
    deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/
    <http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/> xenial-pgdg main

    This works and I previously installed the PGDG 9.5 package without
    issue. Apt lists numerous 9.6 support packages (unit, repmgr,
    repack, plv8, ...) but with unsatisfied dependencies due to the
    lasck of postgresql-9.6.

    I tried adding -testing to the repo but no joy:
    deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/
    <http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/> xenial-pgdg-testing main

    Is packaging just not complete or am I missing something? (I had
    hoped that getting configured for testing would be more friction-free.)

    Cheers,
    Steve

In case it is useful for reference, I beat my head on it a bit more and
replaced "main" with "9.6":
deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ xenial-pgdg 9.6

Yes, that is an FAQ item:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Apt/FAQ

I want to try the beta version of the next PostgreSQL release

WARNING: The data format changes between alpha releases, and occasionally beta releases. Be prepared to pg_dump the database contents before you upgrade the package to a newer alpha/beta or to a final release. Check the release notes before upgrading.

We ship packages for alpha and beta releases, but like in the previous FAQ entry, we have only one version of libpq5 in the main archive component. To use packages of postgresql-9.6, you need to add the 9.6 component to your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pgdg.list entry, so the 9.6 version of libpq5 will be available for installation:

deb http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/ jessie-pgdg main 9.6

Life is good, again.

Cheers,
Steve