Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to assemble all fields of (any) view into a string?

On 09/07/2016 01:15 PM, Ken Tanzer wrote:
Hi.  Using version 9.2.  I'm trying to create a function that will take
a record from any view and assemble it into a string, for export to
another system.  For example, this view:

\d ebh_gain
            View "public.ebh_gain"
      Column       |     Type      | Modifiers
-------------------+---------------+-----------
 reporting_unit_id | character(3)  |
 case_id           | character(10) |
 event_date        | character(8)  |
 ids_score         | character(1)  |
 eds_score         | character(1)  |
 sds_score         | character(1)  |
 kc_auth_number    | integer       |
 king_county_id    | integer       |

would get converted into a string with all the fields concatenated
together, and space-padded to their full lengths.

I think an example is needed. I was thinking you wanted the field values transformed, but the below seems to indicate something different.

My original idea was to do this in TCL by passing a record and a view
name.  The function would then look up the columns in the
information_schema, and use that info to assemble and return the
string.  But it looks like TCL functions won't accept a record as an
argument.

Any suggestions or advice most welcome.  Thanks!

Ken
--
AGENCY Software
A Free Software data system