Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Upgrading using pg_dumpall [FIXED]

On Sun, 4 Sep 2016, Adrian Klaver wrote:

Actually there is an important difference. In your 9.3 file you have set
METHOD set to trust and in the 9.5 file it is set to md5, which is
password. Set the METHOD to trust in your 9.5 file and restart the
database. Now for the non-socket access methods this is a security risk,
so you will want to change it back at some point once you get the
users/passwords figured out

Adrian,

  I saw that but missed the meaning. I'm the only user on this system so
there is no internal security risk.

  After learning that the Slackware script's restart does not work[1] I
stopped the process then restarted it. I can now access my databases and the
financial software via the browser UI.

  Now I can remove the 9.3.4 directory and be comfortable that the next
upgrade will be smooth.

  Thanks very much for your patient help!

Much appreciated,

Rich

[1] I've seen this same behavior in other rc.<program> scripts. Stopping
and starting works in all cases.