Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Upgrading using pg_dumpall

Hello

On 09/04/2016 05:11 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
On Sun, 4 Sep 2016, Adrian Klaver wrote:

But the message you sent me offlist showed the 9.5 instance running.

  But now it's not running.

How are you starting the instance?

  As superuser poostgres: pg_ctl start -D /var/lib/pgsql/data &

  After removing an orphaned postmaster.pid the above seemed to have
started
postgres, but there's no postmaster process running.

Are you sure that the password being asked for is not for the OS user
you are using to run whatever start script you are using?

  Thinking postmaster is running I tried this:

$ psql crm
Password: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "rshepard"
DETAIL:  User "rshepard" has no password assigned.
    Connection matched pg_hba.conf line 80: "local   all             all
md5"
psql: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "rshepard"

Well, there you have it. As Adrian suggested you may set temporarily the authentication method to trust, set yourself a password and change it back to md5.

That should do.
Bye
Charles

  The crm database is owned by me.

I have never used it, but I am pretty sure that is not what -W means. It
looks to me that it asks you to create a password at init for the
database
superuser(in this case postgres) and only that user when that user tries
to use log into a database after the cluster is started.

  From man initdb:

-W, --pwprompt
           Makes initdb prompt for a password to give the database
superuser.
           If you don't plan on using password authentication, this is not
           important. Otherwise you won't be able to use password
           authentication until you have a password set up.

  The superuser already exists in /etc/passwd.

Do you remember what password you specified?

  Yes. It's the same password I use for logging in as a user. If it's the
superuser password being requested, then that's the same as my user
password.

  The Slackware rc.postgresql file for 9.5 has changed from 9.3 and
earlier.
It's asking for passwords:

 if [ ! -e $DATADIR/PG_VERSION ]; then
    echo "You should initialize the PostgreSQL database
    at location $DATADIR"
    echo "e.g. su postgres -c \"initdb -D $DATADIR
    --locale=en_US.UTF-8 -A md5 -W\""
    exit 6
 fi

  Note the '-W' at the end. But, I ran initdb from the command line as user
postgres.

Rich

--
Swiss PostgreSQL Users Group